Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Diversity in the Classroom


I have recently been working with a 4th grade class at a local elementary school. This school is different than my transition to teaching placement. In this class there are two Chinese students. One of them can speak fairly good English while the other one cannot speak any English at all and moved into the school about 2 weeks ago. In my mind I have question the methods that the teacher is using to best teach the non English speaking student, and I have questioned her handling of these two students in her classroom.
            The student who speaks no English at all basically sits in the back of the classroom and works on a packet that matched words with pictures. I do not know how he does on any of this seeing as the words are in English and not Chinese. The other student who is his cousin, but has been at the school longer and speaks better English sits in the middle of the classroom and is able to work on everything that the rest of the class is involved with. While speaking to other teachers about this student they use words and saying that I do not feel are appropriate and many don’t seem to care much about finding new ways to work with the non English-speaking child. I have also witnessed aids and other teachers demanding that the English-speaking student translate for this cousin, which clearly makes him uncomfortable. The teachers demand him to translate and have said to me how they don’t understand why he does not want to speak Chinese while at school. Students in the class also jokingly bow to these students and make noises and phrases made to sound like they are speaking Chinese. I know that this makes the Chinese students uncomfortable, but I see their teacher giving little effort to stop this from happening.
            This whole situation is very uncomfortable for me because I do not know exactly how to deal with this issue since it is not my classroom. When I have the opportunity I tell the students teasing them to stop, but I think the teacher needs to do some sort of activity to encourage acceptance and to talk about how things certain people think are funny can really hurt another persons feelings. The entire staff in the school needs to understand that they cannot force a child to speak in a different language and should not demand children to translate for other children. I think the English-speaking boy feels uncomfortable speaking in Chinese because others in the class have teased him about it and it makes him different from the others.
            I am not more aware than ever about different children’s feelings and the way they handle these situations in the classroom. The children may be very proud of their culture and language, but certain judgments by classmates and teachers can really put them on the spot and make them uncomfortable. Teachers must not assume anything and we should not treat any students differently than others.
            If I were this teacher I would treat this situation as a diversity lesson. I would have activities encouraging all students to work together and to respect one another. I know that the students who are bowing to Chinese students and saying things to them do not intend to be mean to them, but because they are assuming something about them they are. I will do my best to use these kinds of opportunities to teach acceptance of different races and cultures in my classroom.  It is important that all students feel comfortable while at school, thus providing them with a good environment to learn and grow as students and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment